Saturday, September 6, 2008

Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon

Frank Family Vineyards
Napa Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon
Calistoga, CA
2004
14.4%
$31.14 -- Spec’s, Austin, TX

Color: Rich purpley red
Nose: Cassis, vanilla
Body: Full
Front: Ripe berries
Middle: Vanilla, cinnamon
Back: Cedar, cumin
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Cork

I had this wine first at the winery (across the road from one of my favorites, Larkmead), where things were a little carnivalesque in the tasting room. I remembered it being classic California: huge fruit, embracing, but with a hint of complexity that keeps it from being Hi-C. The pourer pointed out that it took it awhile to open up, and said I should buy an older vintage than the '05. I thought it was pretty damn fine as it was.

The next time I had it, I was sitting at a table with three dudes who have been or are GMs at major international luxury hotels. We drank two bottles and everyone went home happy; don't be surprised if the next time you stay at a $500+ per night hotel in Miami (like ya do), you see it on the menu.

Tonight it's glorious instantly out of the bottle (I got the 2004, since I'm trying to take people's advice more often these days). It's lush, embracing, and with a hint of complexity that says, "I have been drunk by people smarter, more experienced, and better looking than you, but I still love you, so let's spend the night together."