Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sattui Family Cabernet

V. Sattui Winery
Sattui Family
Cabernet Sauvignon
Napa Valley
St. Helena, California, USA
2006
14%
$22.00 -- Sattui Winery, CA

Color: Dark garnet
Nose: Plum, buttered popcorn, black pepper
Body: Full
Front: Spicy plum
Middle: Creme anglaise, tannins
Back: Tar, violets
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Cork

This is the place to start with Sattui wines, I think, if you enjoy things that are not too sweet. I like many, many of this house's creations, as attested to by their frequent presence on this blog. But I haven't had much of the Sattui Family Cab, apparently to my loss.

The SFCS (let us call it) is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, but I wouldn't say that it aspires to Bourdeauzitude the way a lot of the Valley's blends do. It's got fruit with character and a dose of dusty tannins that is Napa all the way. It partners well with chicken cordon bleu and wilted spinach that Central Market made especially for me this busy evening. But it's striking, relaxing, and thought-provoking simply with raw almonds.