Sunday, May 2, 2010

Trenza Blanco

Trenza Winery
Blanco 
Albariño, Grenache Blanc
Edna Valley
San Luis Obispo, California, USA
2008
14.2%
$14.99 -- Costco, Austin, TX

Color: Light gold
Nose: Tight; meyer lemon, something sweet-fruity, and beach ball
Body: Medium
Front: Pineapple, melon
Middle: Lemon, grass (but not lemongrass!)
Back: A touch of butter, gravel
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Screwcap

I've decided to do a little varietal experimentation with whites, as the summer heat comes on. I have not abandoned my French wine tasting crusade, and hope in fact to work a little weirdo French wine into the white rotation. But some expansion in the palate is always good.

Trenza Winery has made an appearance before on this blog, with a strange little red that I have a bottle of cellared for the foreseeable future. And I've had a not-insubstantial amount of central coast wine, lately, I'd add: the last wine I reviewed was also an Edna Valley wine by a San Luis Obispo producer.

Try this one with a little strong cheese or other food, and don't drink it too cold. It's reserved, and its elegance doesn't emerge readily. But it is much more refined than the red blend (at least so far), and I think would please many people. I can't quite see charm in it: the blend is odd, so there should be some characteristic vein in it, but I'm not getting it. Perhaps tomorrow!

Note: Or, two days later! The acid comes out a bit more, and I tried it with brie--delightful.