Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ferrari-Carano Cabernet

Ferrari-Carano Mountain Winery
Cabernet Sauvignon
Alexander Valley
Geyserville, California, USA
2005
14.5%
$30.00 -- Spec's Liquors, Austin, TX

Color: Opaque ruby
Nose: Ripe plums, a hint of creamed corn
Body: Full
Front: Cherry
Middle: Licorice, young mint
Back: Espresso, oak
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Cork

A great wine with food, this Cabernet seems to be appearing on more and more restaurant lists. I'm pairing it with a little perhaps-over-the-hill salami, and it's catalytic. It failed, however, against the balsamic vinaigrette on my iceberg salad (it's ten thousand degrees outside, a cold dinner vibe)--but then, not many wines succeed with vinegar.

I've never had one of these that was super-tannic, so I'm not sure about the aging potential of the wine, or if people who love Napa cabs will be fond of it. Still, it's got a number of interesting flavors in a simple, but to me delightful, structure. I'd definitely pull it out if you're having folks over for some great food, but don't know what their palates are like.

Note: 1 Dec 2009, I tried the 2006; still lush and layered, plum and herb-dominated.  There's a bit of an earthy stank to this vintage, which is really luscious. I think I might like this more than the 2005.  Average prices for it are going up, but on sale and at bargain joints it can be had in the $29-$30 range still.