Sunday, August 30, 2009

Simi Landslide Cabernet

Simi Winery
Landslide Vineyard
Cabernet Sauvignon
Alexander Valley
Sonoma, California, USA2005
14.5%
$26.99 -- COSTCO, Austin, TX

Color: Dark ruby
Nose: Tobacco and cherry
Body: Full
Front: Cherry
Middle: Smoke, cedar
Back: Tannins, raspberry chocolate
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Cork

It's been awhile since I posted: it's just been too hot to drink wine. Sorry.

Ha ha! Just kidding. I've just been drinking cases of things I've already reviewed here, in the interests of saving money. But armed with a COSTCO membership, I'm back, with a bunch of things I've never tried before.

This one I'll probably buy more of, to lay down for awhile. It took about three hours for it to open into its full loveliness, and even then the tannins were pretty stout. But this is a lush, heavy Cabernet, with a really interesting flavor profile and clear structure. With grilled New York strip and grilled zucchini (with plenty of Tony's to spice it up) it was a great combination.

I was listening to Red Revelations, by Jace Everett, when I drank this one, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say the Simi was a revelation, it certainly seemed to make revelations happen more smoothly.