Sunday, October 18, 2009

Terra Valentine Cabernet

Terra Valentine
Cabernet Sauvignon
Spring Mountain District
Napa Valley
St. Helena, California, USA
2005
14.9%
$33.99 -- COSTCO, Austin, TX

Color: Dark strawberry
Nose: Chocolate, plum
Body: Full
Front: Cassis
Middle: Sparkledy cherries
Back: Tannins, eucalyptus, cedar
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Cork

This is an intense Cabernet. I'm trying it after only a half hour of decanting, so perhaps there's more fruit in the bottle. If so, I will update later. But the old-world flavors are prominent at this point, including the minty tastes that are one of the things I really like in some Napa Cabernets (and McLaren Vale reds, too). This would be good with cheese and meat, though my phone-in dinner has not yet arrived, so I may be completely wrong on that.

Hmm. It is increasingly appearing that I should have waited half an hour before writing this blog entry. Moral: Timing is everything.