Tuesday, September 7, 2010

An inappropriate and uncharacteristic outburst.

PARDON ME, FAITHFUL READER, but I have something to say about Bordeaux wines, and in particular, red ones.

I have had a few fantastic Bordeaux wines in my time. I didn't pay for them; I am a lucky man. Every single bottle of red Bordeaux I've purchased recently in the $15 to $35 range--from 1998 to 2006 vintages--has been disappointing. Only a few have been outright bad, but: should any of them have been, at those prices? I don't review many of them here, because I lack the patience, or perhaps, the inventiveness. Every one I could describe, borrowing the words of Cellartracker reviewer Edv, this way:
Fruits compotés, une acidité rafraîchissante, mais cher pour ce qu'il apporte.
I've tried the decanter. I've tried them with food and without. I've tried them after a healthy dose of whiskey, and I've tried them en suite after delicious summer whites and appetizers.

Help me, readers. Help me, internet.