Friday, May 30, 2008

V. Sattui Vittorio's Vineyard Cabernet

V. Sattui Winery
Vittorio's Vineyard
Cabernet Sauvignon
Napa, California
2005
14.4%
$40.00 -- V. Sattui Winery, St. Helena, CA

Color: Deep cherry red
Nose: Mocha plums
Body: Heavy
Front: Dark fruit
Middle: Cinnamon, dust
Back: Spicy tannins
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Cork

This is a new wine. It's from what used to be Suzanne's Vineyard--a plot adjoining the winery on Highway 29 in some prime grape-growing territory. It's functionally Rutherford. This wine shows its youth; it doesn't hold up as well as the other main-line Sattui Cabernets, so it's a tad unfortunate that it's so expensive. But drink it young and it's stellar, just like all the others. It doesn't have the cherry tang of the Preston or the stately vanilla of the Mt. Veeder but it's Napa Valley loveliness all the way. Fantastic with food. My father noticed instantly, too, that it has legs like Jessica Alba and staying power like Sigourney Weaver. He didn't say that out loud but I could tell that's what he was thinking.

Forthcoming (since I know I've been absent and my sexy, loyal followers are wondering what the hell is going on) is a slight departure: I've been in Napa and in Paso Robles recently, tasting (and reading) instead of writing, and one of my readers has persuaded me to muse on my winery visits. I promise it will burn clean.