Thursday, May 1, 2008

Vale do Bomfim Reserva

Vale do Bomfim
Reserva (Touriga N.; T. Roriz; Barroca)
Douro,
Portugal
2004
14%
$9.99 -- Chapel Hill, NC

Color: Deep cherry red
Nose: Caramel and berries (put it in a relatively narrow-mouthed glass)
Body: Medium to heavy
Front: Tart berries
Middle: Tannins, spice, moss
Back: Leather, wood
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Cork

This is not the sort of wine, in terms of tastes or structure, that I expect from this region of Portugal. I don't know what's going on, but it's good. This is one of the most complex wines I've tasted at this price; it's got distinct stages of development in the mouth that get more distinct the longer it's open. The aroma is lush, almost Australian, but the tastes are subtle old-world Iberian leather, spice, and wood, with occasional patches of violets bursting through. It's stellar with anything salty and I wish to Allah I had some chorizo to go with it. It should be good in the cellar for awhile, I'd think.