Sunday, January 20, 2008

D. Pedro de Soutomaior Albariño

Adegas Galegas
D. Pedro de Soutomaior
Albariño

Rias Baixas
Galicia, Spain
2006
13%
$16.99 -- Wine Authorities, Durham, NC

Color: Pale gold
Nose: Peary with a hint of ammonia
Body: Medium
Front: Melon
Middle: Pear, smoky caramel (I know! Whateverrr!)
Back: Pineapple and margarine
Burns clean?: Yes
Cap: Plastic cork (and it's, like, green!)

Again, please pardon my Valley Girl parentheticals. It's really too early in the morning to be drinking wine. But vacation is vacation. I had this wine-tasting dinner last night but it snowed, so only a few die-hards came. Menos burros, my abuelo would say, mas elotes. At any rate, everyone was surprised by the complexity and length of this wine; in a group of die-hard red drinkers, it garnered much praise. Since we tasted this one first, I feel it's a reasonably reliable assessment.